WONG CHEE CHIEN
Chee Chien is a litigator with a focus on restructuring and insolvency, banking and financial disputes, commercial property disputes, commercial litigation and arbitration, and competition law litigation.
His experience relating to restructuring and insolvency includes advising on receivership, schemes of arrangement, judicial management, winding up and bankruptcy.
He has represented major financial institutions in a range of banking and financial disputes which includes debt recovery actions and defending claims based on breach of trust, fraud and negligence.
He also has experience acting for retail landlords, airport operators, and tenants in various commercial property disputes.
Chee Chien graduated from Cardiff University and is a Barrister-at-Law (Middle Temple). Prior to joining Lim Chee Wee Partnership, he did his pupillage and practiced as an associate in a top tier dispute resolution team of one of the largest and leading law firms in Malaysia.
Key Practice Areas
- Restructuring and Insolvency
- Banking and Financial Disputes
- Commercial Property Disputes
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Competition Law Litigation
- Currently acting as junior counsel for a public-listed company and its subsidiary in an ongoing scheme of arrangement and the restraining order proceedings.
- Acted for a company under receivership in the implementation of a scheme of arrangement which obtained 100% support from its scheme creditors of an abandoned mixed development condominium.
- Acted as junior counsel at the Federal Court for a motion for leave to appeal against the Court of Appeal’s decision which set the precedent on the conflict of law between Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act 2012 and Companies Act 2016 in a dispute between a principal and a sub-contractor for outstanding payment: see CT Indah Construction Sdn Bhd v BHL Gemilang Sdn Bhd  1 CLJ 75.
- Acted as lead counsel at the High Court for a secured creditor in opposing an application for judicial management by a debtor: see Tidalmarine Engineering Sdn Bhd v Portneka Sdn Bhd & Anor  MLJU 2526.
- Acted as junior counsel at the High Court for a company under receivership in opposing an application for leave to proceed with a winding up petition: see BHL Gemilang Sdn Bhd v Tetuan Dennis Nik & Wong  1 LNS 888.
- Acted as junior counsel at the Court of Appeal for a financial institution in a claim for the recovery of an assigned property that was transferred without consent of the financial institution: see Malayan Banking Bhd v Sparrows & Arrows Sdn Bhd (in liquidation) & Ors  MLJU 1566.
- Acted as junior counsel at the High Court for a financial institution in defending a claim for breach of trust and mandate: see Hartajaya-Benteng Timur-AMR Jeli JV Sdn Bhd v United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Bhd  1 LNS 1648.
- Acted as junior counsel at the High Court for a retail landlord of a premium shopping mall in opposing an application for injunction to restrain eviction proceedings and in claiming for delivery of vacant possession and damages: see AEON Co. (M) Bhd v Gemilang Waras Sdn Bhd  1 LNS 1337.
- Advised and acted for retail landlords of various premium shopping malls and airport operators in commercial property disputes.
- Currently acting as junior counsel in a claim arising from the termination of a sale and purchase agreement of a pulp and paper manufacturing plant worth RM1.2 billion.
- Currently acting as junior counsel in ongoing proceedings relating to the arbitration between Thai-Lao Lignite (Thailand) Co. Ltd. and the Government of Laos.
- Currently acting for the Malaysian Competition Commission (“MyCC”) in opposing appeals filed by, among others, the General Insurance Association of Malaysia and its members in relation to MyCC’s findings of infringements of the Competition Act 2010 on trade discounts on automotive parts prices and hourly labour rates for motor vehicle repairs by approved workshops.
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2017)
- Barrister-at-Law (Middle Temple) (2016)
- LL.B. (Hons), Cardiff University (2015)
- Malaysia’s Road to Clearer and Fairer Competition  2 MLJ 1