Syukran is a commercial litigator. He has been involved in a variety of contractual disputes involving local and international corporations.
His experience includes acting for various companies in arbitrations and arbitration-related court proceedings such as interim relief in aid of arbitration and the setting aside of arbitral awards. He also has experience handling adjudication proceedings under the Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act 2012.
He also has experience acting for retail landlords and registered proprietors in various commercial property disputes.
Syukran graduated from Oxford Brookes University and is a Barrister-at-Law (Inner Temple). Prior to joining Lim Chee Wee Partnership, he practiced as an associate in a leading dispute resolution firm in Malaysia.
Key Practice Areas
- Corporate Litigation and Shareholder Disputes
- Commercial Property Disputes
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Oil & Gas, and Energy Disputes
- Fraud and Asset Recovery
- Acted as junior counsel for a prominent food franchise in Malaysia in a corporate dispute between its shareholders and directors which involved its holding company and various subsidiaries.
- Acted as junior counsel in a matter involving a series of complex corporate transactions involving the holding of shares in multiple companies where allegations of oppression, breach of a shareholders’ agreement and the law relating to just and equitable treatment of a shareholder.
- Acted as junior counsel for a registered proprietor of several parcel of a shopping complex against the joint management body for unpaid maintenance charges. The High Court found in favour of the registered proprietor and held that the joint management body’s claim, based on square foot, was in contravention of the Strata Management Act 2013, notwithstanding that parties had agreed to the calculation on square foot at the annual general meeting.
- Acting as junior counsel for Solutions Protocol Sdn Bhd in an arbitration against the Government of Malaysia in pursuing a contractual claim of over RM150 million in relation to the implementation of a hospital management system at numerous public hospitals nationwide.
- Acting as junior counsel in a contractual claim against the Government of Malaysia in relation to a national system integrated project.
- Acting as junior counsel in defending a claim by the Malaysian national electricity supplier for alleged trespass and damage cause to a submarine cable connected between Malaysia and Singapore.
- Acted as junior counsel for a construction company in an appeal in the Federal Court which resulted in the landmark decision on whether the Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act 2012 is retrospective or prospective: see Ireka Engineering & Construction Sdn Bhd v PWC Corporation Sdn Bhd  1 MLJ 311.
- Acted as junior counsel for a construction company in a dispute on whether the decision of the Federal Court in Ireka Engineering & Construction Sdn Bhd v PWC Corporation Sdn Bhd  1 MLJ 311 ought to be applied retrospectively or prospectively: see Majlis Perbandaran Kuantan v Kining Exeton Sdn Bhd  MLJU 536.
- Acted as junior counsel in appeal in the Federal Court in an appeal relating to the applicable test to be applied in respect of an application under Section 42 of the Arbitration Act 2005: see Far East Holdings Bhd & Anor v Majlis Ugama Islam dan Adam Resam Melayu Pahang and Other Appeals  1 MLJ 1.
- Advised and acted for a construction company in respect of several disputes arising out of the LRT-3 Project.
- Advised and acted for an oil and gas corporation in a major dispute with the government of a constituent state of Malaysia. The dispute involved a claim for royalty payable for oil won and saved in the continental shelf off Malaysia.
- Acted as junior counsel for an oil and gas company in an arbitration arising out of an agreement for the supply and maintenance of natural gas pipelines.
- Acted as junior counsel for an energy company in an arbitration relating to the sale and supply of electricity in the east coast of Sabah.
- Advising a defence contractor on investigation and litigation strategy in respect of a fraud and corruption matter.
- Advised a defence contractor in respect of a cross-border fraud and corruption matter.
- Advised a construction company in respect of an investigation by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission against one of its directors.
- Advised parties in various fraud disputes as to investigation and litigation strategy.
- Acting as junior counsel for the Securities Commission Malaysia to oppose a discovery application filed by an audit firm, Ernst & Young, seeking the discovery of SC’s internal investigations papers relating to the SC’s investigations on a former licensed fund manager, SJ Asset Management Sdn Bhd (SJAM).
- Advising the Securities Commission Malaysia on a civil enforcement action relating to various breaches of the securities laws.
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2016)
- Barrister-at-Law (Inner Temple) (2015)
- M.A., Oxford Brookes University (2012)
- L.L.B. (Hons), Oxford Brookes University (2011)
- The Malay translation of the ICCA’s Guide to the Interpretation of the 1958 New York Convention (2021): see https://www.arbitration-icca.org/now-available-malay-translation-iccas-guide-1958-new-york-convention.
- Co-authored the Chapter on Misrepresentation in Bullen & Leake & Jacob’s Malaysian Precedents and Pleadings (2017, 2020).
- Co-authored the Malaysian chapter of the ICCA Handbook on Commercial Arbitration (2022).
- Co-authored the Malaysia chapter on Arbitration in World Arbitration Reporter (2022).
- Co-authored the Malaysian chapter on GAR Know How – Challenging and Enforcing Arbitration Awards (2022).