Muayyad Bin Khairulmaini
Muayyad is a commercial litigator experienced in matters in relation to domestic and international arbitration, occupational health and safety, regulatory enforcement and fraud and asset recovery.
Muayyad has represented major Malaysian oil and gas companies in international arbitrations under the AIAC and SIAC Rules and has experience in arbitration-related court proceedings such as interim relief in aid of arbitration and the setting aside of arbitral awards.
He has also acted in matters for the Stock Exchange in initiating enforcement actions against listed issuers and/or their directors for breach of the various Listing Requirements. Muayyad currently acts as junior counsel for Malaysian regulatory agencies in opposing judicial review applications.
He also has experience in quasi-criminal litigation acting for major Malaysian companies in relation to occupational safety and health matters pertaining to alleged breaches of the, among others, Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994 and the Factories and Machineries Act 1967.
Muayyad graduated from Universiti Teknologi MARA and commenced his pupillage and practice in the dispute resolution team of one of the leading law firms in Malaysia. He then joined Lim Chee Wee Partnership when the firm was established.
Key Practice Areas
- International Arbitration
- Occupational Safety & Health
- Regulatory Enforcement
- Commercial Litigation
- Fraud and Asset Recovery
- Currently acting for a major shipping company in the largest quantum of dispute under the AIAC Arbitration Rules in relation to the lease of a semi-floating production system. Assisted in obtaining adjudication decision in relation to claims of over RM1 billion. The issues of the dispute involve, among others, the non-payment of variation works under the contract and a counterclaim with regard to alleged defects.
- Assisted in acting for the subsidiary of a major intergrated oil and gas services company in an arbitration under the SIAC Arbitration Rules in a dispute in relation to the alleged breach of a charterparty agreement.
- Advised and acted as junior counsel for the world’s largest glove manufacturer in an arbitration under the SIAC Arbitration Rules in relation to an alleged fraud and conspiracy suit of more than RM700million.
- Successfully acted for the Malaysian Aviation Commission in opposing Judicial Review Applications filed by Air Asia Berhad and Air Asia X Berhad in relation to alleged breaches of the Malaysian Aviation Consumer Protection Code 2016.
- Acted as junior counsel for the Stock Exchange in initiating enforcement actions against listed issuers and/or their directors for breach of the various Listing Requirements pursuant to the Capital Markets and Services Act 2007.
- Currently acting as junior counsel for a fully integrated oil and gas company in relation to an alleged breach of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994. The dispute revolves around the duties and obligations of a main contractor over its sub-contractor at the worksite.
- Successfully acted as junior counsel for the subsidiaries of the world’s largest glove manufacturer in relation to alleged breaches of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994 and the Factories and Machineries Act 1967.
- Currently acting as junior counsel for a company in initiating judicial review proceedings against the Chief Minister and State Government of Sabah in relation to the issuance of Fresh Timber Licences pursuant to an executed Sale and Purchase Agreement. This dispute also involves a suit in the Kuala Lumpur High Court.
- Currently acting for the Malaysian Competition Commission in opposing the appeals filed by, among others, the General Insurance Association of Malaysia and its members in relation to the Commission’s findings on the alleged infringements of the Competition Act 2010 on trade discounts on automotive parts prices and hourly labour rates for motor vehicle repairs by approved workshops.
- Currently acting as junior counsel for a registered parcel proprietor and the developer of 3 Two Square in relation to a dispute revolving payment of maintenance charges, sinking fund contributions and charges in relation to the maintenance of common property.
- Currently acting for the parcel proprietors of 1 Mont’ Kiara Development in an action against the Management Corporation in relation to the imposition of Maintenance and Sinking Fund charges and other issues of Malaysian Strata Law.
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2017)
- LL.B (Hons), Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM) (2016)