Joyce Lim Hwee Yin
Joyce is a commercial litigator, with a focus on commercial and corporate disputes, regulatory enforcement and aviation law matters.
She has acted in a range of commercial disputes. Her corporate disputes experience includes advising on a variety of shareholder and M&A disputes.
Joyce regularly acts for regulators and statutory bodies on civil enforcement actions and in defending judicial review claims.
She also has experience acting for airlines, aircraft lessors and an airport operator on aviation law disputes.
Joyce graduated with a LL.B (Hons) from the University of London. She completed her pupillage and practiced in the dispute resolution team of one of the largest and leading law firms in Malaysia. She joined Lim Chee Wee Partnership when the firm was established.
Key Practice Areas
- Corporate Litigation and Shareholder Disputes
- Commercial Litigation
- Regulatory Enforcement
- Aviation Law Disputes
- Acted as lead counsel for a US-based commodities trading corporation in relation to its public examination of officers of a Malaysian debtor company in winding up proceedings.
- Acting as junior counsel for a leading Malaysian credit reporting agency as the minority shareholder in a shareholders’ dispute, where we filed an oppression petition against the co-shareholder which is ultimately controlled by a London Stock Exchange-listed multinational consumer credit reporting company.
- Acted as junior counsel and successfully obtained the first-ever recognition in Malaysia of a universal successor company arising from a merger of foreign companies: see United Renewable Energy Co Ltd v TS Solartech Sdn Bhd  7 MLJ 141.
- Advised and acted for a Malaysian public listed company in relation to breach of warranty claims brought pursuant to a RM600 million share acquisition.
- Acted as junior counsel in a shareholders’ dispute where we filed an oppression petition on behalf of the aggrieved shareholder. We successfully applied for an Anton Piller Order in support of the petition.
- Acted as junior counsel in a fraudulent trading claim brought by a judgment creditor against directors of a company: see Huatah Sdn Bhd v Yap Chee Kian & Ors  8 MLJ 98.
- Acted as lead counsel for a Middle East airline group in successfully resisting the setting aside of the enforcement in Malaysia of a judgment obtained in the English courts: see National Air Services Company (NAS Holding) v Raja Mohd Azmi bin Raja Razali & Anor  6 AMR 183.
- Acting as junior counsel for a Malaysian public listed company in relation to a RM700 million claim brought against the Government of Malaysia for the unilateral expropriation of a 15-year concession agreement.
- Advised an agrochemicals company in relation to a claim for wrongful termination of a supply and distribution agreement.
- Advised a property development company on a loan dispute in connection with an ongoing property developing project in the KL city centre.
- Acted as junior counsel for a global sports event promotion company in obtaining a stay of proceedings brought against it in Malaysia on the basis that the Malaysian Court was not the proper forum to adjudicate the dispute: see World Triathlon Corp v SRS Sports Centre Sdn Bhd  4 MLJ 394.
- Acting as junior counsel for the Malaysian securities regulator in relation to the civil enforcement of insider trading and securities fraud offences.
- Acted as junior counsel for the Malaysian stock exchange in relation to the civil enforcement of penalties imposed for breach of listing requirements.
- Acting as junior counsel for the Malaysian securities regulator in defending against various judicial review claims brought in relation to the exercise of its statutory and administrative enforcement powers.
- Acted as junior counsel for the Malaysian stock exchange in successfully defending against a judicial review claim brought pursuant to the exercise of its administrative enforcement powers: see Law Siew Ngoh & Anor v Bursa Malaysia Securities Bhd  7 MLJ 1.
- Acted as junior counsel for the Malaysian securities regulator to intervene and resist the discovery application filed by an audit firm seeking the discovery of internal investigation papers documents in civil proceedings on the grounds of secrecy and public interest privilege. We succeeded in opposing discovery in the High Court and thereafter successfully obtained leave to appeal to the Federal Court, in which the appeal was partly allowed.
- Advising a US-based aircraft and aviation investment firm on the recovery of aircraft lease payments against a Malaysian lessee
- Advised a Hong Kong Stock Exchange-listed global aircraft operating leasing company and a US-based aircraft and aviation investment firm on the deregistration and repossession of aircrafts in Malaysia
- Acted as junior counsel for the Malaysian airport operator in a matter involving abandoned aircrafts at its airports, including recovery of arrears in parking charges
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2017)
- Certificate of Legal Practice (2015)
- LL.B, University of London (2014)
- Co-author, Of Universal Application: Recognition Of The Doctrine Of Universal Succession, Mondaq, 2019.
- Co-author, Division Of Powers Between Shareholders And Directors, Mondaq, 2018.
- Co-author, Shareholder Oppression: A Personal Wrong or a Corporate Wrong?, 2018.