Geraldine is a commercial litigator who is also active in both domestic and international arbitration.
Geraldine has a particular affinity for oil and gas disputes. She has been involved in litigation and arbitration proceedings in these matters representing major Malaysian oil and gas market players.
Her work also encompasses company and shareholder-related disputes, restructuring and insolvency, and acting for and advising liquidators and regulators. Her experience includes shareholder oppression, arbitration-related litigation, Fortuna injunctions, the arrest of an aircraft, contentious winding-up petitions, removal of liquidators as well as general corporate matters such as court sanctioned capital reduction.
Geraldine graduated with an LL.B (Hons) from University College London and holds a Masters in Law from King's College London. She joined Lim Chee Wee Partnership when the firm was established
Key Practice Areas
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Oil & Gas and Energy Disputes
- Restructuring and Insolvency
- Acted as lead counsel for the Malaysian Bar in defending a disciplinary action taken against its member.
- Acting for a Malaysian company in respect of a fraud perpetrated by one of its employees.
- Acting for a Swiss company in relation to an action filed against it in relation to the tort of conspiracy.
- Acting for a Singaporean company to recover damages caused to its premises by Malaysian entities.
- Acted as lead counsel for the Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA) in relation to a dispute brought against it by a member. The MIA had only been named so it could be called as a witness in the proceedings.
- Assisting in acting in a shareholders’ dispute for a Chinese conglomerate and investment company in relation to its Malaysian subsidiaries.
- Assisting in acting for a public-listed shipping company in a dispute regarding an offshore production system.
- Assisting in acting for a Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad in resisting a judicial review application brought by a liquidator.
- Assisting in acting for the Malaysian subsidiary of an American equipment leasing specialist in relation to contractual disputes.
- Assisted in acting for the subsidiary of a major integrated oil and gas services company in an SIAC arbitration in relation to a charterparty agreement.
- Assisted in acting in a shareholders’ dispute where we filed an oppression petition on behalf of the aggrieved shareholder. We successfully applied for interlocutory orders to restrain the passing of certain resolutions at a general meeting of the shareholders.
- Assisted in acting in a shareholders’ dispute in relation to a Labuan company. The dispute encompassed ongoing parallel litigation in India and Singapore.
- Assisted in acting for multinational aviation finance company in the arrest of its aircraft which had been leased to a Malaysian charter airline.
- Assisted in acting for several subsidiaries of a national oil and gas company in opposing a garnishee order to show cause.
- Advised and assisted in acting for a property developer in relation to disputes arising out of the sale of units in one of its property developments as well as disputes which had been brought to the Tribunal for Home Buyer’s Claims.
- Assisted in acting for a public-listed shipping company in an AIAC arbitration involving an offshore production system.
- Assisting in acting a subsidiary of a national oil and gas company in an ongoing AIAC arbitration.
- Assisted in acting for a major shipping company in two adjudication proceedings involving a contract for the construction and the lease of a semi-floating production system. Successfully obtained two adjudication decisions totalling claims in excess of RM1 billion.
- Assisted in advising an American integrated energy services company in relation to a potential dispute in relation to recovery of monies in relation to an EPCIC contract for an FSO as well as any possible exposure of the company to ongoing related arbitration proceedings and possible adjudication proceedings.
- Assisting in acting for a liquidator of a public-listed company in liquidation in an application to remove the liquidator of another company.
- Assisting in acting for the liquidator of a wound-up company resisting leave for a suit to be brought against the wound-up company.
- Advised various receivers and managers in receivership of companies and assets, including advice on the validity of their appointment by the banks.
- Assisted in acting for and advising a major insurance company in obtaining court confirmation for a capital reduction exercise.
- LL.M, King’s College London (2015)
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2014)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (2013)
- LL.B (Hons), University College London (2012)
- “Check Your Privilege” - Malaysian developments on the law of privilege.
- “Judicial Management of Judicial Management”- the first reported decision in Malaysia on judicial management.
- “The Doctrine of Prime Necessity” - the adoption of the doctrine of prime necessity by the Malaysian courts.